Today I decided to share a recipe I found on a fellow bloggers site! This recipe is courtesy of “Vegetarian ‘Ventures“! I will also link this blog post to my recipes page for future reference if you decide to try it 🙂
The story behind this recipe:
After perusing my wordpress ‘reader’, which allows me to follow other blog posts, I came upon the recipe ‘Quinoa Primavera‘ from Vegetarian ‘Ventures! The recipe had me at ‘cream cheese’. Since I couldn’t resist, I knew I HAD to make this recipe! Plus, I am training for a half marathon, so I am always looking for healthy and filling recipes. Since I am only cooking for myself, my recipe makes a smaller portion than the original Vegetarian Ventures recipe. I already really like this recipe because I know that I can be creative with the ingredients! Mixing it up means never getting bored! For example, I added some broccoli slaw for extra veggies (I always need to hide veggies in everything as much as possible). This recipe might also taste good with fried tofu and/or most any veg; like spinach, green beans, corn etc… And while this is a vegetarian recipe at heart, for those of you who like meat, this would taste good with some sliced sausage (I like spicy turkey sausage). Time to get creative!
- 1 c quinoa, rinsed well
- 2 c vegetable broth or stock *if you arent a vegetarian you could use chicken broth/stock
- 1 tbsp EVOO *extra virgin olive oil, yes I am a Rachel Ray fan and will blog about some of her recipes too!
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2tbsp chopped basil
- 1 onion chopped *I like sweet onions
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large squash (yellow or green zucchini), chopped
- 1 lg handful of broccoli slaw *my spin on the recipe
- 1 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Make the quinoa. This can be done 2 different ways: in a rice cooker (always comes out perfect) or on the stove (where things go wrong for me). If you do this in a rice cooker: add the quinoa (1 cup), 2 cups vegetable broth to the rice cooker. Press button. Presto in 15ish minutes. By stove: bring 2 cups broth to a simmer, then the add the quinoa. Stir, cover and simmer over low heat for 12-15min until water is absorbed and they do their curly cue bit. “Fluff” quinoa with fork (sometimes a bit clumpy). I start this step and once the quinoa is cooking I begin #2.
- Make the “veg”: Heat a large skillet with EVOO. Add the onions and garlic, cook over medium heat (about 2 min). Then add bell pepper, slaw and squash. Cook until preferred consistency. I like my veggies on the crunchy side, so when I reheat they aren’t overcooked and mushy. For me 5-7min is perfect.
- Once the veg is done, add the quinoa to the veg pan. If your skillet isn’t large enough to handle the immense proportion of food, add all of it to a big bowl. Since everything is still warm, mix in the cream cheese until distributed evenly. Scoop some into a bowl and add some parmesan cheese. Then dump the rest on the pan of food 🙂