Hi everyone, my name is Shelly from Vegetarian ‘Ventures and I am so pleased to share a recipe with you through Nicole’s blog today! Although I am not a runner by any means, I do obsess over a very different form of working out. My vice is yoga; not only do I get a work out from yoga but I come out of practice feeling like I’ve undergone a 30 minute non-verbal therapy session (and what a refreshing feeling it is!). You are not suppose to eat two hours before yoga but my body and mind (my mind is ALWAYS thinking about food) is not okay with that so I tend to try to have very small snacks around the house to munch on before working out. These granola bar are a perfect snack that won’t leave you feeling stuffed but will give you a burst of energy!
I have to admit…I had such a fiasco with this recipe at first! I woke up extra early to make these for breakfast and my puppy decided to sample ALL of them while I was brushing my teeth and waiting for them to cool. There goes breakfast! Oh well…at least the chocolate chips were vegan so I don’t think they were too bad for him!
Feel free to subsitute whatever you have on hand. I used vegan chocolate chips but feel free to subsitute in dark chocolate or maybe even butterscotch chips (or if you don’t want chocolate at all try dried fruit). Another great tool for recipes like this are the bulk sections at your local co-op. Don’t want a pound of shredded coconut? Just buy enough in bulk to make this recipe! Also, browse what they have and add something that looks good into the mix. Another great thing about these granola bars is that it’s so easy to tweak them to your liking.
Also, it’s reassuring to know exactly what is going into your pre/post work out snacks instead of buying over manufactured items.
DIY Granola Bars Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used vegan)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg
- dash of allspice
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the rolled oats, coconut flakes, pecans, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. In a separate bowl, whisk together the bananas, peanut butter, coconut oil, and vanilla extract.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry and mix until everything is combined. Put into a parchment lined baking dish (I used a 9 by 9 square dish) and bake for 20 minutes.
- Let cool completely and enjoy for breakfast or as a post workout snack! They should keep for up to a week in an airtight container in the fridge.
For those of you wondering what a post swap is, it means Shelly from Vegetarian ‘Ventures and I are doing a ‘guest post’ for each other’s blog today! I have been following Shelly’s blog for a few weeks now and have made a couple of her recipes which were delicious! I’m very pleased to have her as a guest writer on my blog today sharing her granola bar recipe with you. Enjoy!