Slowly but surely, this physical therapy stuff is paying off! Today I finished another sweat-inducing workout and was cleared to start a walk/run program! I am a bit sore already from the jumping/strength training workout I did today, so I might not start the walk/run program till Monday. Why am I going to wait? I have yoga on Friday which is going to kick my butt again and I know that I will need time to fully recover from that… I will be sure to keep you updated on how my exercises go next week!
There are 5 stages to the program:
- Stage I: Walk 5 min, jog 1 min x 5 reps (30 min total)
- Stage II: Walk 4 min, jog 2 min x 5 reps (30 min total)
- Stage III: Walk 3 min, jog 3 min x 5 reps (30 min total)
- Stage IV: Walk 2 min, jog 4 min x 5 reps (30 min total)
- Stage V: Jog every other day with a goal of reaching 30 consecutive minutes, begin with 5 minutes of walking, gradually increasing the pace. End with 5 minutes of walking, gradually decreasing the pace to a comfortable stretch.
Depending on how my body responds (best case scenario), I might be able to reach stage 5 within a few weeks. And before I know it, my half marathon will be here!