Facing Reality

Even though I have been walking everyday for the last two months (probably about 2-3 mi), with some mileage increase over the last couple weeks (now that my physical therapy is over), the reality that my half marathon is in less than two weeks just hit me:  I’m not sure that I can nor that I should do it, period.

As I sit here writing this, wearing compression socks, icing my feet and hamstring after an evening walk, I’m second guessing my decision to try to push through this time.  I really don’t want to be writing a post in a couple weeks telling everyone how I regretted going through with the race knowing I wasn’t fully prepared (or potentially even fully healed).

I tried to keep my spirits up through the two months of physical therapy, telling myself that I could walk/run it, even as the weeks of PT ticked on…  and once that seemed impossible, I kept telling myself I could walk the half marathon since I had been walking everyday, but honestly I just don’t know. It’s so hard for me to admit that I can’t when I so wish that I could. One thing I DO regret is not coming to this conclusion sooner (before Aug 31) because I could have had my race deferred to the following year.

Earlier this evening, I decided that I should still go to the event to support my mom and grandma (who registered to walk the Forrest 5k) rather than not going at all.  I then perused the Long Beach Marathon weekend website looking for things to do on race day (thinking that my only option was to forego it altogether) and learned ‘as long as an event hasn’t sold out by the EXPO date, that an event registration can be transferred‘. Maybe I would be able to walk the 5k with them instead! Unfortunately the deadline for doing this online was Sept 17th, (ugh!), so now I just have to wait.  I feel pretty annoyed at myself for coming to this conclusion so late in the game and missing all the deadlines… but all I can do now is cross my fingers and hope that the 5k doesn’t sell out in the next 12 days (I will be checking online everyday!).  And make sure to go to the Friday expo as soon as it opens to transfer my registration (assuming it is not sold out).

Overall, I feel that it would be better for me to walk the 5k with family (since I can do that no problemo!) than to attempt the half , constantly wondering whether or not that was a good decision.

Anyone want to share their race deferment/transfer/cancellation story?

Advertisements

10 thoughts on “Facing Reality

  1. I had to cancel my place at the Manchester 10k last year, I broke my ankle. It was a pain (literally as well), but with hindsight I hadn’t trained enough. If you don’t feel ready for the race it might be worth deferring it? There’s always plenty of other races.

  2. Oh no, Nicole 😦 I know this must have been an extremely difficult decision for you, but I am glad that you know you have to listen to your body and do what makes the most sense for you! This will hopefully give your body time to heal and the rehab process to be complete so you’ll be all set and ready to go in January!

  3. I think you are making the right decision, albeit a hard one. I know you really wanted to do the half this time, but at least this way you’ll get to walk with family AND be able to continue your running next week. If you walked the half, who is to say that you wouldn’t re-injure your leg and delay your progress even more. It sucks having to make the decision, but I think it’s a good one. Best of luck getting into the 5K! 🙂

  4. I’m in exactly the same position. I’m signed up for the San Jose rock n roll Half on Oct. 7th and I don’t know if it can happen. Especially since I thought I had 2 more weekends before the race and really I only have 1. I don’t want to lose all the money but it’s not worth it if it wont be fun because I’m not ready. 13.1 miles is a long way to be literally pushing through.

    I first thought you might be signed up for the same race as I am because it sounds like it’s the same weekend. There’s still a bunch of bloggers I know watching that one so I might be going and hanging out with them. We’re going to Sprinkles Cupcakes after.

    I think you know what your body can do and if you know you can’t do it then don’t. I’m still clinging to the though that I might make it but I’m slowly accepting that it’s probably not going to happen.

    • Its SO TOUGH making that decision, but I’d rather skip a race now than find myself back in PT or not being able to run at all… I wish you the best and if you don’t participate, that’s ok too in my book!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s