So Chloe had her yearly checkup last week and the vet said that the small, hard, lump on her remaining hind limb is suspicious (found it a couple months ago)… Mind you she is 12 yrs old and has 3 lipomas, 2 little warts, and a skin tag, all benign, but this lump needs to be biopsied/removed to check for malignancy. 2.5 years ago she was diagnosed with a non excisable cancer (LARGE lump) that wouldn’t respond well to chemo or radiation, so ergo she lost a leg to provide an ‘instant cure’. However, dramatic solutions like that are no longer viable options. So lets keep hoping for benign!
Her yearly bloodwork/physical indicated that she is in otherwise excellent health for her age, which is really good news, so I just ask that from today and until I get the phone call about her lab results to please think pawsitive thoughts for Chloe! We are hoping for a trifecta of 1. surgery/anaesthesia goes well 2. recovery from procedure goes well (minus cone of shame) and 3. that the lab results indicate the lump is BENIGN or that any follow up treatments don’t require chemo or radiation. As a personal decision, I wouldn’t want to put her through either of those last options considering all the little things we deal with on a daily basis like scary train noises, slippery floors, hob-a-long walks… so if faced with unfavorable results, I would want to make her as comfortable and as spoiled as possible. Thank you and I’ll be nervously trying to do thesis work in a local coffee shop during her procedure/wake up sleepy time period.
I’ll be posting updates on twitter/facebook as they happen.
P.S. The lump is along the hairline of her upper back right leg (transition between outer leg and inner leg), is about the size of a large pea and is under the skin. Its not on muscle or connective tissue, so there is a good margin for excision.
Think happy dog thoughts for Chloe today!